From Piazza Navona to the Portico d'Ottavia
In Piazza Navona begins the path that leads us to Campo de 'Fiori and the Jewish Quarter.
In ancient Rome, this was the Stadium of Domitian, or race track, which was built by the emperor in 85. It was decorated with statues, one of which is that of Pasquino, now in the square next to Piazza Navona and became, because of people behaviour , one of the "talking statues" of Rome, through which the people gave voice to jokes and protests.
The name of the Piazza Navona was originally "in Agony" (from the greek agones, "Games") because the stadium was used exclusively for athletics.
Piazza Navona is in a sense the pride of Baroque Rome, with architectural elements and sculptures by masters such as Bernini: The Four Rivers Fountain in the center of the square, which is the Danube, the Ganges, the Nile and the Rio Plata, the four corners of the Earth; Francesco Borromini and Girolamo Rainaldi: the Church of St. Agnes in Agony, in front of the fountain by Bernini and Pietro da Cortona, author of the frescoes in the gallery of the Palazzo Pamphili.
From here you get to Corso Vittorio Emanuele II and it takes very little time to Via Montoro where Paolucci is.
The company was founded in 1937 at the hands of the brothers Antonio and Francesco Paolucci, I as a shop selling wood. In the post-war period the patient work would be rewarded by commercial success, thanks to the widespread presence in the historical center of potential customers as carpenters, restorers, cabinetmakers and craftsmen in general. From the 60's onwards, the business was run by Roberto Paolucci, combining the features of a small family business with the needs of a rapidly growing market and growth. The third generation is currently represented by Francesco Paolucci whose job is to add to traditional and new sectors such as hardware, fine arts, paints, trying to interpret the needs of an increasingly vast and varied market.
Nearby is one of the most historical and characteristic squares of the city: Piazza Campo de 'Fiori.
Until the 1400 the square did not exist as such and in its place there was a flowery meadow with some gardens, hence the name. In 1456, Pope Callistus III ordered to pave the area as part of a larger project to reset the entire area. This renewal meant that many important buildings were built in the area: in particular, the Orsini Palace. For this reason, the square became popular for personalities as ambassadors and cardinals. This led to a degree of prosperity changing it into the center of commercial and cultural activities. But executions took place here too. On Thursday, February 17, 1600 the philosopher Giordano Bruno, a Dominican friar, was burned alive after being accused of heresy. In his memory a bronze monument was made in 1888, right on the spot of the fire.
Continuing along Via Giubbonari you reach Via del Portico d'Ottavia, heart of the Jewish Ghetto in Rome.
One of the oldest slums in the world , was funded 40 years after that one of Venice, which is the first of its kind.
The term is derived from the name of the district of Venice "gheto", where there was a foundry (in fact gheto in Venetian), where the Jews of that city were forced to reside. In addition to being rich in monuments is one of places that more speaks of the past, and especially where you can taste the ancient culinary tradition of the city.
For this reason a stop at Trattoria da Giggetto is a must.
Since 1923, just after the 1st World War, Luigi Ceccarelli said "Giggetto" and his wife Ines dedicated to the restaurant just purchased. It soon became famous for good wine of Frascati, for their fine cuisine that the "Sister Ines," could make cooking on a makeshift stove outside the room. The two owners did not stop only to prepare street food and sell wine. They saved and expanded the interior of the premises; managed to bring together the joyful Roman spirit with the Jewish one. Today, the third generation of the fmiy runs the place, and together they took the burden and certainly the honor to keep alive that essence that made "Giggetto" a local restaurant known abroad for dishes made with simple recipes and tasty ancient Roman cuisine, and especially for "artichokes" that are the highest of pride.