Route 5

From Piazza Risorgimento to Piazza Augusto Imperatore

Piazza del Risorgimento is the starting point for visiting Borgo Pio, just a step from the Vatican. Here, more than anywhere else, the impressive Rome of Christianity is on display. In addition to St. Peter's Basilica, there are the Vatican Museums, one of the largest and richest collection of works of art in the world.

Percorso 5


In Piazza Risorgimento is located Optic shop Calo’.
Opticians for more than 70 years. In 1932, Bruno Calo’ began working in Piazza Risorgimento, as a craftsman. By building glasses for watches, the activity changed in the laboratory of ophthalmic lenses and subsequently began marketing glasses. The company remains in family hands. Today, the third generation is in charge with Bruno Calo, grandson of the founder. Otticas Calo’, always keeping up with the trendas in search of new ideas, has been able to mix the world of cassic eyewear with the most advanced technology and the dictates of modern design, as well as dealing with performance for the well-being of the eye.

Going by via Crescenzi, on the right there’s Via Propezio and a sop at Colapicchioni.
Since 1934 it is a trademark of good food. Antico Forno Colapicchioni represents excellence of bakery and pastry and a summary of the best in Rome and its region. An ancient wisdom also made of memories and feelings. Today, with the same passion, passed down by his grandparents, Angelo Colapicchioni, along with his family, creates delicious, irresistible delights every day. Alchemy of aromas and flavors. Cakes that include history, the seduction of tradition, a surprising authenticity, but also the creativity and the search for new flavours; in short, a perfect combination of passion and innovation.
Continue straight on Via Crescenzio up to admire the massive Castel Sant'Angelo on your right.
Also known as the Mausoleum of Hadrian, it is a monument connected to the Vatican by the fortified corridor called "the small passage". Started by Emperor Hadrian in 125 as his mausoleum , and completed by Antoninus Pius in 139. The castle was radically changed many times in the Middle Ages and Renaissance, assuming a number of uses, from prison to the residence of the Popes, a veritable fortress against the looting of Rome in Popes’ dominion.
A little further on the left into Via Tacito there is another venue to Colapicchioni.

From here you soon arrive in Piazza Cavour.
The square, dedicated to the Piedmontese statesman Count Camillo Benso di Cavour, is located in an area once partially occupied by the "prata Neronis" .In the central garden, designed between 1895 and 1911 by Nicodemus Severi, stands a monument to the statesman: a statue surrounded by allegories of Italy and Rome, Thought and Action.
Next to it is the gigantic Palace of Justice, built in the years 1889-1911, one of the major works after the proclamation of the Rome as capital of Italy.
Leaving Piazza Cavour you cross the Tiber River passing over Ponte Cavour, but remembering to watch, in the distance, the magical beauty of the other bridges on the river,such as the Ponte Sant'Angelo, built By Emperor Hadrian, then decorated with statues of angels and patriarchs in the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries, some of them attributed to the school of Bernini.
Past the Tiber River and turn left into Via Ripetta, the building that will strike you is the Ara Pacis Museum , designed according to contemporary architectural point of view, but staged to contain one of the most important relicsof ancient Rome, the 'Ara Pacis Augustae ‘.
It is an altar (Altar of Augustan Peace) dedicated to Emperor Augustus in 9 BC dedicated to Peace, in the sense of a Roman goddess, and placed in an area of the Campus Martius (Warlike, evidently) to celebrate victories. This monument is one of the most important examples of Augustan art and it is intended to symbolize peace and prosperity achieved as a result of the "Pax Romana".
In front of it, stands the majestic Mausoleum of Augustus.
It was built by the emperor as his tomb in 28 BC after he conquered Alexandria.
At the end of the itinerary you can stop for lunch or a nice dinner at "The Real Alfredo "in Piazza Augusto Imperatore.
The tradition of the world-famous "Il Vero Alfredo" starts in a restaurant in the historic center open by Alfredo Di Lelio in 1908. The top of his success is when he met with Douglas Fairbanks and Mary Pickford, the two famous American actors, which, after tasting its spectacular and original dishes during their honeymoon in Rome, made him a gift of two gold tableware, a tribute to its friendly and warm welcome. The first restaurant in via della Scrofawas later sold to reopen his restaurant in 1950 in its current location. Alfred III, having inherited the talent of his grandfather and father, has the merit of having worthily continued the path traced by his predecessors, bearing the name of this historic restaurant out in the world.

Association of the Historical Stores of Excellence in Rome

Association of the Historical Stores of Excellence in Rome
Cod. Fisc. 97534980582
Via dei Prefetti 46, 00186 - Roma -